Friday, August 17, 2012

10/60 days - In the Details


So I am a tenth of the way there now.
I still have to make a conscious effort to go to the studio and work, yet I do think it is getting a little easier, more natural. I wonder how long it would take for the habit to work to become totally ingrained?
For now it is enough to get myself here each day and put a little time in.
Add one detail, maybe two...

queen anne's lace in seed
 I'm drawn to details, the scale I'm drawn to is small, even intimate. I had never really thought about what size I am most comfortable working at before I read Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit*
Its funny how uncomfortable I am with being drawn to this.

milkweed
 Somewhere along the line I came to believe that small meant less,
less important, less effective, less serious

coleus
Yet when you really focus in the details have huge drama
Drama that can be held in your hand.


* I should say tried to read I have never gotten all the way through it, something about the tone triggers me in an unfortunate way, setting off all of my "you'll never be an artist" voices - not the books fault, its full of great stuff, but there it is

No comments: