Sunday, March 30, 2008
Here it is the final result of all that work. This has been quite the learning experience. At times it seemed as though I made every possible mistake there was to be made. I think the next one will go a bit smoother through both dyeing and sewing. I certainly have never dyed as large an amount of fabric before using Itajime so I now know how to approach that in a better manner (different base fabric, more color differentation between lining and outer fabric, only one dyebath). Sewing? Well being familiar with the pattern now will help me to place the pattern better and I will pay more attention to certain aspects of the construction as I sew the next in the series…Earth (green, brown, and metallics)
I’ve chosen my recipes and the method I want to try for the Itajime already. To incorporate metallics I think I will use some details to it with metallic thread.
Time for another trip to the fabric store!
I love textiles and ornamentation, they fascinate me. If I could I would travel the world to learn more about them. Since that isn’t presently in the cards I surf the internet, and read books to learn more. I love to see the individual expressions different cultures use textiles for. I worry that in this smaller more connected modern world the differences that cultures have may be homogenized away leaving us poorer in the end. This has begun to happen to our foods and many other aspects of our cultures. I hope that my participation in learning and practicing the crafts I do will help to preserve that diversity just a little.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Friday, March 28, 2008
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Monday, March 17, 2008
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Spring is Sprung!!!!
Originally uploaded by alsokaizen
I took a little time to investigate the garden yesterday, looking to see what was poking its way out of the ground and look what I found! This is one of the little tiny iris I planted last fall blooming away merrily what a nice surprise.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Originally uploaded by alsokaizen
I've been posting some new things at Ye Olde ETSY Store. Its tough in winter to get decent photos without freezing my patooties off (I insist on outside light) Actually getting decent photos is one of the hardest parts of the ETSY store along with writing good, compelling descriptions. I wish I were better at both...as it stands I did manage to get my Shibori pillows listed. These are made from some fabric I dyed nearly a year ago and finally have put to some use. I really like how these gold and red ones turned out.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
My end goal is to create a garment using two hand dyed pieces of coordinating fabric. One for the outside of the garment and a lining fabric. I’m using light weight cotton fabrics. I have in mind a darker piece for the outside and a lighter for the interior I’d like it to sort of glow from the inside like banked coals. To create my fabrics I decided to try a 2 step Itajime process
For the lining I used a bleached cotton fabric, prescoured and dried.
Step 1: folded it in a straight square stack and dyed it (using activated dyes on dry fabric) to create a stripe in pink and golden orange, then I washed it out.
Step 2: I refolded it using a triangular fold and dyed it (using activated dyes on dry fabric) using a mid range orange and a red to create a medallion like repeat pattern.
This part went pretty much as I expected it to and is reasonably successful.
The outer fabric was a different story
For the outer fabric I used an unbleached cotton muslin
I started the same way but dyed it in darker colors. The muslin resisted dyeing properly, in fact it proved to be rather water resistant in spite of the prescouring. In the first dye bath I actually opened the layers to manually expose them to the dye (usually with Itajime I let the colors leach into the fabric under their own steam). My hope was exposure to the dyes and washing process would make the fiber more receptive to the next dye bath… this was not to be the case. I washed, dried and refolded the fabric in a triangular fold and it went into the second dye bath which it resisted mightily! So I did it again however on the third try I left the fabric damp (wetting out fabric can really help with this sort of problem), the water carried the dye into the fiber much better on the third try and I got something a lot closer to what I had envisioned.
Now I’m ready to start cutting out my pattern!
Monday, March 3, 2008
Anyhow it was a snappy bright winter day and I’ve been wanting to try to take some pictures of winter textures so I cleaned out the camera and headed out into the woods behind my home.
I enjoy many of the aspects of the winter landscape such as the lines of tree branches and the delicate colors of lichens, branches and bark. I don’t agree that the woods become colorless and uninteresting in the winter. On the contrary I find the stark qualities are really fascinating, it becomes possible to see the personalities of trees and I enjoy the interweaving of branches in thickets. For the most part it was very enjoyable here are some of the pictures I took:
ThicketsLeaves Lichen What I didn’t enjoy was seeing the damage that is being caused by ATVs.
This path didn't exist 2 years ago
I have nothing good to say about ATVs or the people who drive them, and I’m a mountain biker! I get the desire to be out in the mud. I have just never seen anyone use one of those things responsibly they are massively destructive and effortless to use which creates a situation where wanton destruction is easily distributed everywhere and deeply impacts the environment. So my Artists Date was 1/2 good and 1/2 bad, the woods were wonderful but I don’t know how long it will last if they continue to be treated this way.