Sunday, September 17, 2017

Processing

 basket pickup 
I've mentioned our CSA before, briefly we buy a share in a local farm at the beginning of the season, each week we pick up a bushel basket with whatever is harvested that week, a loaf of bread, and a half doz eggs.
caahn
t'maahtas
I like it for a bunch of reasons,  Its way to attend to where I am, and be present. placing my well being with a neighbors so to speakI am supporting my local economy by being a part of a small farm's business, and eating what is in season. I like that I am tuned into the earth at my specific location. I like the challenge of being presented with the materials and then figuring out what to do with them.
salaahd 
ready to roast
 Its also alot of work. I spent hours today cooking... corn chowda, quiche with chard and mushrooms, roasted salsa, tomato mozzarella salad and prepping for split pea zuccini soup.The challenge is how to eat all of this including the stuff that isn't a favorite (Green Peppers and Swiss Chard) before we lose any of it and with out getting bored. I get a thrill when I can combine 2 or 3 of the basket items in one dish. I try really hard not to let any of it go to waste and one of these days I will learn to can properly so I can do preserves..
The 2 of us will be eating alot of food this week!
makin' chowdaah
all foods are written in a phonetically correct NE accent, just because it amuses me.

3 comments:

Ms. said...

Gorgeous...bounty! I too waste almost nothing, if I can't cook it I make a paste with greens and spice, or a soup and freeze jars for gifts and for myself. I shop at the local farm market and have my favorite vendors, and also shop at Trader Joe for certain items like Alaskan wild caught salmon, and wild caught Alaskan Cod (no fish from the pacific thanks to nuclear waste and other disasters to the Oceans. I'm on a tight budget but it just made me more creative.

Anonymous said...

It amuses me too. I live near Boston!

alsokaizen said...

Hi Michelle our farmers markets are a real blessing, and the strictures of a tight budget can really lead to a more creative outcome (regardless of the success we eat it anyway!)
Oh Dee a true Bahstahn accent is a thing of wonder :) here in RI its a little mix of Boston and NY but you must know that since we are only an hour away!