Wednesday, February 6, 2008

feels like fire


feels like fire
Originally uploaded by Zenith Phuong

This gorgeous photo by is my inspiration for the Project Spectrum Challenge on flickr. For the challenge this year there are 4 color combos each based on one of the four elements fire, earth, water, and air. Each element gets two months so everyone can have a chance to finish. Most of the group are knitters but there are no limits to media just color/concept so I figure there is room for some Shibori. First up is Fire using Red, Orange, Yellow and Pink . I totally love this kind of challenge, open ended, lots of room for interpretation just fun. I will try something a bit more ambitious than I've done in awhile, designing two coordinating fabrics for a particular sewing project...probably a garment. I feel fairly confident about dyeing. However this will require a larger piece of fabric than I've attempted before and that always creates a few challenges. I am less confident about the construction part, I haven't sewed a garment in a while. But I'm getting ahead of myself... I think it will be fun to take part and I encourage everyone out there to join in with their own fire inspired projects!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm new to Shibori and have pretty much become obsessed. *smile* I would like to participate in your new challenge, if I may. One question though...are you requiring that people use the color pink with the other 'fire' colors?

Thanks in advance!
Thistlehart

P.S. I think all of your Shibori projects are simply gorgeous and very inspiring to newbies like myself.

alsokaizen said...

Hi thistleheart!
(I love your name!)
I'm so happy you want to play too!
The Project Spectrum web site is:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/project_spectrum/
it is over at Flickr... I don't know if you have an account there but they are free so its no big deal...I'm not actually running it just playing along and I just realized today that the color Yellow isn't a part of the fire challenge...However they dont seem to be very strict about such things so I don't think you have to use all the colors. I say just go for it and I can't wait to see what you come up with!