Saturday, September 20, 2008

Encrusted



OK I'm calling this one, my CQ "square" is completed. It was really fun to just pull out all the stops and leave"good taste" behind. This baby is totally encrusted with beads and textures, alot of glitter too... I got out the glass beads and played with creating edges that dangle in a most unruly manner and there is a great deal of metallic thread. A few posts back I mentioned that I don't consider myself much of a bling person... lately though I seem to be drawn to it, often in conjunction with the heat set shibori. I believe that is because one of the things I really like about the heat set is the way light plays across the surfaces (more on that another day)



I think that this little creation reminds me of the tide pools I was so drawn to as a kid, still am actually. OK maybe its a fantasy coral reef whatev...



I kind of enjoy this uncouth little creation and making it definately got some brain cells firing on some other projects that have been stalled for months while I've been working on other less pleasant tasks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like this too- for a variety of reasons.
it does have a barnacle-y feel-kinda like looking down into tidepools.
i also like the way it resembles many victorian CQ's using darker rich colors and textures. much like heavily encrusted victorian pieces using thick velvets and fuzzy chenilles(like caterpillars-hence the name).
it does feel good to just let go and experiment.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alsokaizen said...

Hi Glennis, I'm glad you like the look of it, Velvet or chenille would sit nicely with these sorts of textures wouldn't they? I will have to put that in the idea bag!

jude said...

agree that this is definitely amazingly different yet in some ways adheres to the framework of the classic cq style. i think yu have done a wonderful job of thinking that through. a really wonderful re-interpretation.
thank you for your participation in this project.

lindacreates said...

I just love this, love the way you made it different! Your work is beautiful and the bling great!

alsokaizen said...

thank you so much Linda
I have definately found that the bling loves the heatset shibori its over the top but it likes it that way