Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Gifts


The garden by the back deck is agreed to be the prettiest. It is small with two tiers of beds separated with a wall of boulders. I first planted it in 2003? 2004? ...?
Well, it was a while ago, its more than 10 years old and less than 20. It was created around a smoke tree and includes an azealia, weglia, spirea, hosta, catmint, and a draping evergreen that I don't know the name of. I planted it with the color scheme of Lime/Yellow and Purple/Burgundy, which has expanded to include white and bronze as years have passed and things have been gifted to me. This year the the deer ate the evergreen so I didn't have to prune it. It looks a bit rough.

 The yellow flags are starting now, as well as the little starry white flowers, I don't know what they are called, some sort of bulb gifted to me by a neighbor.
The lower bed features a special hosta I brought back from a visit to WI. The leaves look as though a wash of white has been painted onto each leaf.





This is the one bed I have that Uchera does fairly well in. There is one in bronze green that lives next to the weglia. I have 2 crumbling pots set up on the wall, right now I am trying to coax some sedum to grow in them, and I set some bulbs in there last year but I haven't seen any blooms yet.



 The columbine is in bloom too, there is one in a pale pink that volunteered next to the smoke tree. a happy little accident.
For me about 40% of gardening is accidental, 25% is gifts and  the rest is survival.
Whatever makes it through the year, directs all future decisions. Is that instinctual?


No comments: