Instead I opted to try some discharge shibori that I've been wanting to do. Shibori girl Glennis has posted a wonderful picture from a recent museum visit that served as the inspiration for this bit of trial and error. I love the zigzag of the motif in the original and I wanted to try to do the same thing however I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep the motifs consistently spaced so I decided to use wooden beads bound into the fabric at intervals to keep some consistency.
I started with a long panel of dark brown linen (I think) fabric and bound in the beads. Next I plunked it into a bleach solution.
My first attempt got a bit too blasted out.
the second one came out better, I increased the wraps on the resist and reduced the amount of bleach as well as the length of time in the solution. I like the result although it looks very little like the inspiration at all... its also very difficult to see the pattern as it is being bound so the motif is sort of broken up a bit!