Sunday, July 13, 2008

Box of Bugs

WA is one of my favorite stores in Provincetown. It is full of wonderful antiques from all over the world, as well as modern design work that is similar in aesthetic. It is quiet and dark and the sound of table fountains ripples through along with the smell of incense. It manages to be exotic opulent and a bit zen all at once which is quite a trick if you think about it. All of the items in the store give the impression of being rare and treasured.
When I visited it I fell in love with some shadow boxes that contained beautiful specimens of dried butterflies and beetles arranged in mandalas or patterns. They cost hundreds of dollars up to a thousand. Don’t mistake me, I desired them deeply but there is no way I could spend 1000.00 $ on a box of bugs, even if I did have it … I think my head might explode (and I’m really sure my Lar’s would)
I didn’t buy much there just a strand of sandalwood beads but this store got me thinking about the power of presentation and the value it imbues on its subject. This is something I understand intellectually but have resisted applying to myself. I rarely frame my work somehow in my mind its not good enough yet. As a part of play night I pulled out a shadow box and tried this

And this


When framed and lit it changes. This seems to go from being an interesting piece of fabric art to being Art… does anyone agree or am I just kidding myself? Does this begin to look like something that might be seen in a gallery?
Which background? I think I like the pale background, it becomes about the sculptural qualities of the piece. Lar likes the black better, which I think makes it more about pattern.
I would deeply appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

3 comments:

Eric Heupel said...

Presentation does seem to be so important.

I love the dark background as well, the contrast which I think highlights the overall form, but still allows the sculptural qualities to come through. The light background IS nice, and strong shadow would highlight the form, but to me the contrast of the dark works better. Knowing my wife however, she will go for the light background!

Eric Heupel said...

Oh... and yes.. it does look like it could be in a gallery!

alsokaizen said...

Hi eric thanks for the comments, I definately feel that the lighting is the key to presenting this heat set shibori, the forms and textures are so beautiful...