Sunday, October 4, 2009

9 years

Well I promised you another experiment and here it is. This was a godseye pattern bound and dyed with gold, orange and maroon.
Here is a detail that shows the way the binding reacted with the dye.

To go with it I made these vat dyes in the same colors.

I've been playing with the idea of creating dyed coordinates, one more complex along with "solids" that compliment it to sell on ETSY or at quilt shows. It seems to me that it would be a way to make hand dyed fabrics more usable for people who are making quilts.
I created another piece of pima in an autumn gradient, I really like the way this one turned out.


I am washing and drying all of the tiedyes so nothing to see there.

But this is what I'm really proud of:
Hand to God
I bought this fabric and planned this project 9 YEARS ago. I cannot begin to tell you how terrific it is to have it finished. I loved these fabrics when I spotted them in the remnents pile at Lorraines (local fabric mecca) back when we bought our home. I bought them planning to make a comforter cover, I even dyed up a coordinating solid because the two pieces weren't large enough to make it. I realized yesterday that I like the comforter cover we have just fine and I hate the look of the throw on our bed so I made a cover for it instead.
The bedroom suddenly looks so much spiffier (and less like a dorm room)
I feel vindicated!

No comments: