Saturday, October 24, 2009


Here is the next step done. I flipped each of the previous pleats in the opposite direction and stitched them down in the center of the fold lines. I am really happy with the effect. it is serving two purposes. One technical the other decorative.

I had planned to cut the fabric down to the size I need when I first discharged/burned it, and so I started with a larger piece than I needed. However once I stepped back and evaluated it I felt I would lose something by slicing it up more than is absolutely necessary (I have cut it into 3 panels but there is no choice in that). Sometimes I find myself reluctant to cut shibori up and this was one of those times.

While I was laying it out on the orange background I realized I could use up the extra by pleating it and tacking it down, the added attraction was that it would add alot of surface interest without obscuring the nice modulations of the discharged fabric. In fact it kind of emphasizes it.

On to the next step...