nope not cooking, just fixin'
I've spent quite a few days stitching the Magpie to the eclipse moon, enough that I don't want to unstitch it all...
too bad then that when I got done I was unhappy with the result.
I couldn't read the 'Pie from the background, not enough contrast in tone or temperature.I considered a few alternatives, then inspired by the discharge experiments at SEW I opted to bleach the background out.
I stuck packing tape over the sewing in a sheet
Then I created a custom pattern by cutting (carefully) around the shape, peeling away the excess. I left extra tape around the edges to further protect the stitched motif.
A bleach paste was then painted onto the unprotected areas.
It worked really fast and more powerfully than I expected. So I had to put the whole thing into some vinegar water to stop the process. (not really recommended but effective)
Stuff I learned:
1. Water makes packing tape peel off of fabric
2. I should really test a bleach paste prior to slapping it onto a piece of stitching I'm fond of so whole heartedly.
In spite of myself it worked rather well.