I've been messing about with more attempts to reproduce the shibori sample, most were failures for one reason or another. I decided to make one more try. It seemed to me that I had the dynamic correct but I wasn't able to get the fabric to move up and down smoothly. I decided to add some assisting stitches that would help to pull the fabric into place. Its really hard to see in the photo so I will attempt to describe it. I started with the same basic stitch pattern as version 2, except that all the "up" rows were set up to pull to the right and all the "down" row to the left. Going in opposite directions helped to keep all the bits of thread organized. For each row of stitching I then added another thread that caught the very tops of the "up" pleats on one side of the fabric and a thread that caught the very bottom of the "down" pleats on the opposite side.The purpose was to give me somthing to pull the fabric with to pop the pleats up and down with. Here is a diagram
Once again I think the theory is right but I'm not quite getting the practice to work, here is the final result. Over at the flicker pool we are thinking that it may be a form of woven shibori which would make perfect sense and would probably be a more effective way to do what I am trying to achieve with the assist threads. Someday maybe I will get a chance to try some woven shibori!