Thursday, July 23, 2009

Massage

Well tonight was my massage appointment. I have been getting a massage about once a week for the past few months. It is part of a program of general self-care I am trying to institute in my life. I have issues with edema in my lower legs and feet especially in my right big toe and I have decided to pursue reversing the condition. Deep tissue massage is really helpful (albeit somewhat painful) in releasing the adhesions and trapped fluids.
I am lucky enough to have a husband who is a massage therapist otherwise I doubt I would be able/willing to invest in this treatment. Believe it or not I still found it difficult to schedule these appointments. I tend to have a difficult time finding that kind of time for myself. It seems like other things should come first, and its easy to push that sort of care out of my life...
Then I wonder why I find myself shutting down.
In another form of self-care tonight I continued sorting and purging my supplies. I am really hoping to make some psychic room in my life by releasing old UFOs that I don't really want to finish, and supplies that I don't have any real use for. So far it feels right. I've given myself one "Project Bin" full of pieces that I want to finish. I am trying to keep a limit on them because I need to learn to let them go when my interest has waned.
It seems as though once something makes my list of "Oh! That Would Be Neat To Do"
it never comes off, even when I'm no longer interested in doing it.
I have a visualization of all these bits and pieces of stuff dragging behind me like an unwieldy train on a wedding gown.

3 comments:

jude said...

i understand this. that is why i do the what if thing. i keep the thought small, execute it and get through it. it satisfies mt creativity, helps me share my thought and keeps the project to a minimum. it is also a great generator of small gifts.

alsokaizen said...

I've learned a great deal from you on that score jude. I love to watch your experiments develop and sometimes join together. The process is so natural your work grows the way plants do... I aspire to be like that.

Anna said...

I recently read this statement about decluttering/purging: "It's not about getting rid of stuff, it's about making room to live." I kinda like that.

I need a massage, too!