Thursday, March 12, 2009

Slash and Burn





I did a bit of harvesting today in the garden. Last years grasses have some pretty seed heads that survived the winter in good shape. No sense letting it all go to waste. The leaves on this miscanthus are razor sharp when green and only a little duller when dried out but they are truly lovely as they twist and turn. I'm sure I will find a use for them.



I've also tried some more of the burnt shibori, this time on fabric. Its hard to see here but to put out the fire I used some old dye. The dye reinforces the appearance of the itajime and gives the fabric a bit more interest.



As you can tell I am still dedicating myself to messing about lately. I don't seem to have it in me to do more and I don't want to just sit around feeling sorry for myself so I'm letting my instinct for play lead for the moment. Who knows maybe it will find an opening for me to escape from this bitter little box I've constructed for myself. (Don't mind me I had a craptacular day at work today, and yes I know I should be all grateful I've got a job and can pay the bills, I'm just not feeling it at the moment, give me a few... it will pass)



The good news is that our puppy had blood work done and is in very good shape all things considered. So this day has been declared Happy Pancreas Day and all should celebrate by cherishing the bellies they love the best! I'm off to cherish my best belly now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting ana lisa. i wonder how it would look if you itajime dyed it first, dried it, then burned it?

or even when it was dry, before burning it you used water as a resist to the burn...

you really made me wonder here...

someone recently mentioned a show to me of all burned textiles...can't remember where-if i find it i'll send you a link.

glad the puppy is better.

sometimes having a craptacular day is good for refocusing the lens on what is important. i trust in you-

alsokaizen said...

Hi Glennis
If you can find the link let me know that sounds fascinating.
I've been thinking of different ways to apply the dye and burn too but I hadn't thought about water as a resist hmm...

jude said...

this is fabulous. i burned some fabric way back, nothing as focused as this idea. i love it.

alsokaizen said...

Hi jude
I'm glad that you like it
the itajime gives it a nice structure and the burning creates such wonderful openings...

linda said...

this is beautiful. does the burning make the fabric more fragile?

alsokaizen said...

Hi Linda
well, yes but not that much, I'm using pima cotton which has a pretty tight weave. I did notice on the ends of the piece there wasn't enough unburnt to hold together so I lost some of the length. It seems to be a matter of not letting it get too out of hand.